In Australia, only 5 out of every 100 kids are eating the recommended 5 serves of vegetables a day. Rather than try to get all 5 serves on our dinner plates, I’ve made it a way of life to get some vegetables into our kids day before school, then in their lunchbox. A Green Smoothie is a great way to boost the veggie intake.
I tend to give my kids a smoothie everyday before school. It’s a great way of filling them up and getting some extra veg into them before school. So our mornings look like this – they have their first breakfast at around 6.45am (this is usually one of these – overnight oats, eggs, sourdough with homemade baked beans, banana pancakes, homemade banana bread with yoghurt etc), then about 7.30am, they have a smoothie. This One Cup of Greens In A Drink Before School is their current favourite.
You can’t even taste the greens in this because of the fruit, yoghurt and milk. This Green Smoothie means the kids have essentially had a piece of fruit before going to school too, I only need to pack one piece of fruit in their lunchbox to ensure they are getting their 2 serves of fruit a day.
- 1 orange
- 1 banana (or green apple)
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1/2 avocado (optional – if they are too expensive, I just skip this)
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons natural greek yoghurt
- 1 and 1/2 cups of coconut water / milk or milk of your choice
- 4-6 cubes of ice
- Throw all in a blender and blitz until smooth and creamy
Another 2 ways
- Freeze the smoothie in reusable pouches – it’s great to take them to school or to have in the afternoon
- Add some mint to the mix before blending, then top with some cacao nibs for a great choc mint green smoothie – yum!