This Awake and Moving Smoothie Recipe is a great way to start the day. It’s loaded with good fats and protein to keep tummies full. Our kids called this smoothie recipe Awake and Moving because I created it one morning when we had to hit the road super early to move onto our next Australian Tour location. We had a quick cereal breakfast then packed up, hit the road and had this smoothie whilst we drove.
If your kids like cereal or toast, and you’d love to get them to have a better breakfast, this smoothie is the perfect addition to breakfast. You could serve this just before their cereal or toast, or give it to them before they leave for school or an outing for the day.
I’ve also served up this smoothie for as our afternoon snack too. It’s a fantastic filler for in between lunch and dinner.
Ingredients (for 4)
- 2-3 frozen bananas
- 5 frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup raw mixed nuts
- 1 tblspn chia seed
- 3 tblspns natural Greek yoghurt*
- 600 ml milk of choice
- 1/2 coconut water (or water)
For a dairy free version, we dropped the greek yoghurt, and use 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup coconut cream.
- If you have a high speed blender, you can throw all this in at once and blend for 2 mins, until thick and creamy. If you’re blender isn’t high speed, you may need to blend the bananas first.
2 Other Ways
- Add a handful of baby spinach and 1-2 tblspns of cacao powder for a chocolate version (the cacao will disguise the green colour from the spinach)
- Boost up the good fats by adding 1/2 an avocado
If you’re looking for other ideas to boost breakfast, you may like to read: