A few weeks ago, I wrote a post about a couple of mum’s saying Breakfast Cereal Is My Downfall. It certainly struck a chord with many parents because it received loads of comments and shares on Facebook! If you’re looking at trying something different from cereal, then you may wish to try this Breakfast Dessert. It’s loaded with natural sweetness, good fats and proteins to help keep tummies full and for brain function.
I wanted to call it 3 G’s – Get up, Get Dressed and Go but I generally let the kids give my recipes names (it’s all part of the ploy to get them to take ownership for what they are eating), and they said this was liking having dessert for breakfast, so Breakfast Dessert it is.
This breakfast dessert recipe makes 2 -4 servings depending on the age of your family and how you’re serving it.
- 2 small frozen bananas
- 1/3 cup granola
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes (or 1 tblspn coconut cream)
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 big tblspn peanut butter
- 1 tblspn chia seed
- 1/2 small avocado (or 1/4 medium avocado)
- 2 tblspns cacao powder
- 1 1/3 cups almond milk (add more milk to suit your tastes)
- Throw it all in the blender and blitz until smooth and creamy
Make this school lunchbox friendly
- Drop the peanut butter and use a granola without nuts
- Add in 1-2 tblspns of seeds – pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Serve in a glass with straw for slurping
- Serve in a bowl, then sprinkle some more coconut flakes, chia seeds and granola on top
- Fill a reusable pouch such as Little Mashies and pop it in the freezer for tomorrows lunchbox
If you’re looking for other ideas for breakfast without cereal, you may like to read A week without breakfast cereal.