Many people ask me about how I switched my family to whole foods. My answer is this. I tried to switch everyone over to a complete whole foods way of eating overnight, but it didn't work. So I focussed on changing how we ate dinner. When it felt like I was winning most of the time, I moved onto lunches. I only started working on breakfasts about 3 years ago.
The transition to where we are at today has been 9 years in the making and I am still tweaking how we eat. All the time. But making this about the long game and transitioning has meant it has gone relatively unnoticed by the family.
The move away from breakfast cereal may seem hard at first but it's really not. There are so many breakfasts you can make that don't really take too much more time than tipping cereal into a bowl. This is one such breakfast. This is my Chocolate Surprise Smoothie Bowl. Throw it all in the blender and you're done. Top it with some extra fruit, seeds and coconut to make it even more nourishing.
I like to use my other recipes for bases for creating new recipes. This recipe is a modification of my Awake and Moving Smoothie. I hope you enjoy it.
- 2-3 frozen bananas
- 1/2 a medium sized avocado
- 1/2 cup raw mixed nuts (you can just use raw cashews if you prefer)
- 3 tblspns natural Greek Yoghurt
- 300ml milk of your choice (we use Coco Quench Coconut Milk)
- 1 big handful of baby spinach
- 1/2 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tspn cinnamon
- 2 large scoops of The Whole Food Collective Supercharged Smoothie All Rounder - Choc Mousse*
*if you haven't got this Supercharged Smoothie All Rounder in your pantry, replace this with the following:
- 2 tblspns Cacao powder
- 2 tblspns Oats
- 1 tblspn chia seed
- 1 tblspn sunflower seeds
- Throw it all in a blender
- Blend it until it's smooth, thick and creamy
- Serve immediately
- Add whatever toppings you wish. I usually just turn to what fruit I have in the house, cut it up in smaller pieces, add that, then some coconut and seeds.
Another 2 ways
- Thin down with more milk to make it a smoothie drink
- Freeze it into ice blocks
We love smoothies in our house.
In fact, we have a rule - it goes like this. If the kids wish to have what we call an empty breakfast such as crumpets, sourdough toast on it's own or gluten free Weetbix, then they have to first have a nourishing smoothie.
The Wholefood Collective have a whole range of Supercharged Premixes to help boost the nutrition of your smoothie without needing to have a whole heap of extras in your pantry. Plus they make the process of making your smoothie so much easier too.
Jump across and check out the range of Supercharged Smoothie Premixes here. Just type Supercharged into the search bar and choose one. They are all great.
Please know we only ever promote products we use for our own family. If we don't use a product or company, we don't share them. If you clink on the link in this post to The Wholefood Collective and buy their products, we receive a small thank you referral fee. If you purchase using this link, we thank you because it helps us keep offering free content such as this recipe.