I can hardly believe it but our baby boy is double digits today – T.E.N! When did that even happen?
He asked for an ice cream cake. Here is a collection of Live Videos I did for the members of our Kids Health Quest Members to show them how I created the cake. It’s a simple 3 step process.
Step 1 – Make the Ice Cream Cake
- 600 ml full fat thickened cream
- 1 egg yoke
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tbsp raw honey (if family are already used to lower sugar or 1/2 tin condensed milk)
- 2 tspn vanilla extract
- Extra special add ins – frozen berries & / or Maltesers
- Take a mixing bowl or round dish and line with glad wrap so there’s enough to hang out over the sides of the pan (see video)
- Whisk egg whites til soft peaks form
- Whip cream with egg yoke until cream is firm
- Add honey or condensed milk to cream and vanilla extract
- Blend until thoroughly mixed
- Stir through the firm egg whites
- Gently add berries and Maltesers – just push down with the spatula
- Pour into the lined bowl
- Unfold sides of gladwrap and pull over the ice cream mixture.
- Freeze overnight
Step 2 – Make Homemade Chocolate Topping
This is a video of how I made the homemade chocolate topping. This video was initially created to show the Kids Health Quest Members how I made homemade magnums. The great thing about using your own food science is that you can use the ingredients and recipes in many ways.
- 100g coconut oil
- 50g cacao powder*
- 3 tblspns rice malt syrup*
- 1/4 tspn vanilla powder
- pinch of salt (this enhances the chocolate flavour)
- Melt the coconut oil over low heat – you do not want this to be really hot
- Take the oil off the heat
- Add the other ingredients and stir in until smooth
- Place back over low heat, and continually stir for about 8 minutes
- Pour into a sterilised jar, then store in your pantry until ready
Step 3 – Assembling The Cake
Take the cake out of the freezer about 5 minutes before you want to cover it in chocolate. This will help make it easier to remove from the bowl.
One you’ve covered it in chocolate, you can put it back in the freezer if you wish and keep it for later.
Before serving, let the cake sit for 5-10 minutes (depending on the heat of the day), just so the ice cream softens a little.