Protein plays an important role in a healthy lunchbox. On a very basic level it helps keep tummies full, but on a deeper level, it is important for building, maintaining and protecting muscles and tissues.
These simple lunchbox crumbed chicken fingers are a great lunchbox protein option. To make these fingers into nuggets, simply cut the chicken into smaller bite sized pieces. Sometimes I mix up making fingers and nuggets in one batch so I have 2 different lunch options for the week. These finger food options are especially great for busy kids who just want to eat on the run so they can play. Of course, they are also great adult lunches too:-))
- 1 Chicken Breast
- 1 egg
- 2 tblspns GF plain flour (you can use normal plain flour)
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/4 cup rice crumbs (you can use bread crumbs)
- Coconut oil for frying
1. Lay chicken breast flat, and place hand on top. Using the knife horizontally, slice the breast in half. Then slice each half into strips, then cut these strips in half again. You’ll end up with about 8 good sized strips & 2 mini strips.
2. Make up your crumbing station – place plain flour on a plate and season with salt and pepper (mix), lightly beat an egg in a bowl, place rice crumbs on a plate. The next steps are great to get the kids involved with but be ready for messy hands!
3. Dip chicken strips into flour, coating whole strip.
4. Dip strip into egg.
5. Roll strip into the rice crumbs, place on a separate plate. Do steps 3, 4 & 5 for each strip. Put in fridge for 15 minutes so crumbs stick firmly.
6. Heat a good amount of coconut oil in a frying pan. After a minute, test oil is hot enough by placing a couple of rice crumbs in the pan. If it sizzles, it’s ready to cook.
7. Cook strips for about 3-4 minutes each side until nice and golden.
Serve with dipping sauce in the lunchbox, along with a small finger salad.
Freezing / Storing Instructions
You can freeze strips at step 5 (before cooking), but you may need to recoat them with crumbs after defrosting. These can be prepared and cooked ahead, but use within 2-3 days of cooking.
Another 2 ways to use this recipe
- Awesome on sandwiches too
- Slice the fingers into pieces on an angle and serve in a lettuce cup (instead of a sandwich).