Do your kids say hello at school pick up time with the words “I’m starving mum” or “what have you got to eat mum?”
Well arm yourself with this seed and trail mix before leaving home. It’s a great healthy snack that’s uber simple to make and is filled with protein and good fats. It will help curb the hunger straight away.
As a tip, always have a tub of it in your handbag just for those I’m starving moments. Eating a snack like this will help deter them from needing or wanting other less nutritious snacks.
This seed and trail mix is also perfect for the lunchbox, it will help keep their tummy full, which helps keep their brain turned on.
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/8 cup sesame seeds
- 1/8 cup flaxseed
- 1/8 cup hempseeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup raisins (or goji, figs or combination of all)
- Sprinkling of cinnamon powder (optional and add amount to your tastes)
You can really boost this up by adding almonds, cashews, walnuts and brazil nuts too.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix all the ingredients except raisins and cinnamon in a bowl then spread out on the baking tray.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon if you’re adding it.
- Bake in the oven for 5-8 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Stir though the raisins.
Freezing / Storing Instructions
Not suitable for freezing. Store in an airtight container in the fridge (yes seeds and nuts stay fresher longer in the fridge).
Another 2 ways to use this recipe
- Cook up some apple chips, break up and add to this mix.
- Sprinkle this mix on top of breakfast or add it to a smoothie.