Coconut Oil Popcorn would have to be one of my kids favourite additions to their lunchbox. They even tell me that their friends steal some of it off them as they love it too. The flavour is delicious and I think it tastes like you are eating butter popcorn so it’s great knowing its healthy. Why spend money buying microwave popcorn or pre-packaged bags of popcorn for school when it is so easy and cheap to make your own at home. Not to mention, you know you won’t be eating any nasty additives or preservatives.
This makes a good sized batch so you should be able to use it a few times throughout the week.
- 1/2 cup Corn kernels for popping
- 2 tablespoons Coconut oil
- Himalayan or Celtic Salt
- Heat coconut oil over high heat.
- Add liberal amount of salt to the oil
- Test if it’s hot enough by putting a corn kernel in. If it starts to pop, then its ready to go.
- Add the corn kernels.
- Shake the pan to coat the kernels in oil and salt.
- Let it sit and start popping. As popping increases, shake the pan again then put the lid on – but on an angle so air still gets out.
- Keep shaking the pan sporadically. When you hear the popping slow right down, remove from heat.
- Gently take the lid off so the steam escapes away from you.
- Add some more salt and shake with the lid on again.