This Green Chickpea and Rice Patties recipe takes the humble falafel ball to the next level. It is a protein packed finger food for the lunchbox (can make into smaller balls if you prefer) or pimp them up a bit for a main meal by adding a side of greens or serving them with wraps and salad.
- 400g can of chickpeas (drained & rinsed)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 small handful baby spinach
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- sprinkling of fresh grated ginger
- 1 tblspn cumin
- 1 tblspn coriander
- 2 tspn garam masala
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tblspn tahini
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup rice crumbs
- 1 large tablespoon coconut oil
- In food processor, blend chickpeas, rice, garlic, ginger and spices until a thick paste forms.
- Mix in lemon juice and tahini, then add egg and mix well.
- Stir through rice crumbs until well combined.
- Form into hamburger sized patties or falafel sized balls.
- Place all in fridge for 10 minutes to firm up before cooking.
- Heat coconut oil over high heat.
- Turn down to medium heat and cook patties for 8-10 minutes on one side, then turn and cook for 8-10 minutes on other side. Watch how these are cooking – it’s important to cook them reasonably slowly to ensure centre cooks.
- Cool before storing.
Freezing / Storing Instructions
Freeze patties with baking paper between them. Store in air tight container.
Another 2 ways to use this recipe
- Roll into smaller falafel balls.
- Make a hamburger from the big patties.